Mrs Simkins’ Divine Brownies
Posted: June 10, 2012
Treat your friends to tea and brownies and support Fairtrade at the same time. Divine dark chocolate and cocoa powder work beautifully in this easy to put together recipe. Serve with a big pot of Clipper Fairtrade Everyday tea.
- Makes 16 squares
- 1½ bars (150g) Divine dark chocolate
- 110g butter, diced
- 200g caster sugar
- 95g plain flour
- 15g Divine cocoa powder
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan ovens) or equivalent
- You will need a 22cm square greased brownie pan, the bottom lined with greaseproof paper
- Butter your pan and line the bottom with greaseproof paper – put your pan on the paper and draw round the outline to get a good fit. Smooth the paper down, shinier side up, taking particular care with the corners.
- Break up the chocolate and put it into a roomy heatproof bowl. Melt the chocolate in the microwave on High, in 30 second bursts: it will usually take about 3 minutes or so altogether.
- Add the butter after the first couple of minutes.
- (Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water: choose a bowl that will fit comfortably in the top of the saucepan but without the bottom touching the hot water.)
- Stir the sugar gently into the melted chocolate and butter.
- Sieve a layer of flour and cocoa over the top.
- Add the eggs and sieve over the rest of the flour, Stir everything together.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending upon the fierceness of your oven and how squidgy you like your brownies, until firm on top but still moist underneath.
- Allow to cool slightly and mark into squares. Cover with clean tea towel to avoid drying out and finish cooling in the pan.